Hey there! You might be here because you are someone that knows me and cares about me and wants to check in on how I am doing. Or you might be someone who knows IC and/or migraines/other chronic illness (personally or through a loved one) and you’re not a fan of it (which is understandable) or are trying to understand it…either way, I’m glad you could stop by. If you want to start at the beginning of my blog at any point in time, maybe because you want to see how my journey began or you want to torture yourself for some reason, you can click here or you can click “To start at the beginning” at the top of my blog.
And if you don’t know about me…maybe learn more about me below:
-I am Rachel Bob. (Yes there is a story about how my name become Bob… no, I will not be sharing it with you right now..sorry to disappoint🤓)
-I am a cat mom to four amazing cats: Blinken, Stanley, Marzipan, and Ziggy.
-In a relationship with Aaron.
-Stepmom to Reid.
-I love unicorns, narwhals, llamas, llamacorns and polka dots.
-I’m a Jew..and yes, it matters, because as I always say Jews of a feather flock together. And because I talk about it a lot..as most Jews do.
-I laugh at my own jokes. Because I’m pretty darn funny if I do say so myself.
-I am a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP), which is an innate genetic temperament trait.
-I’m extremely introverted. But I love people. I prefer one on one time to group time.
-I graduated with my BA in Deaf Studies from Gallaudet University in May 2016.
-I am in grad school at Gallaudet University in DC to become a social worker because social justice runs through my veins.
-Glitter also runs through my veins.
-I put the af in crafty. With all the scrapbooking and glitter and making pretty doodads and whatnots. I worked at Michaels Arts and Crafts for 5 years and then at Joann’s for 5 years. So I have a lot of professional crafting experience lol. Jealous? I wouldn’t be…
-I love make-up, I love playing with make-up. I love how make-up allows me to be creative and how it allows me to express myself even when I am feeling my worst. Makeup is always there to cover me (literally lol).
-You might see me talking a lot about the Deaf community and the DeafBlind community. I am not Deaf, but my grandparents were Deaf, which makes me a Grandchild of Deaf Adult (GODA) and my mom is a Child of Deaf Adult (CODA). Gallaudet University is the only Deaf liberal arts university in the world and it is my home. Yes, that means I use American Sign Language fluently, I have been signing since I was born.
– I have a passion for the prison system/criminal justice (it’s that social justice running through my veins that I mentioned before), specifically focusing on juveniles in the adult prison system and Deaf prisoners. I volunteer for an organization called Helping Educate to Advance the Rights of the Deaf Community (HEARD), which primarily focuses on correcting and preventing deaf wrongful convictions, ending deaf prisoner abuse, decreasing recidivism rates for deaf returned citizens, and increasing representation of the deaf in the justice, legal and corrections professions.
-Oh yea…and I have:
- Interstitial cystitis (IC)
- Delvic floor dysfunction (PFD)
- Chronic migraines with visual aura
- Hashimoto’s thyroiditis
- Chronic bronchitis (which is related to the asthma, but happens every year without fail)
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Complex-Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (C-PTSD)
- But that’s not who I am… I have to remind myself of that often.